Col. Charles B. Cain is the Vice Commander, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As one of six Air Force Materiel Command centers, AFLCMC is responsible for total life-cycle management of all aircraft, engines, munitions, and electronic systems.
In his previous assignment, Col. Cain was the commander of the 704th Test Group at Holloman AFB, N.M. He led a team that conducted avionics and weapon systems flight tests, inertial navigation and Global Positioning System tests, highspeed test track operations, as well as landing gear, survability, directed energy, and radar cross section tests for joint weapon systems.
Col. Cain is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering. He is also a graduate of the University of Washington, where he received a Master of Science degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics. During his career, he has served as a Experimental test Pilot and has led multiple developmental test programs in the C-17A, C-130H and C-130J. He has also served on the Joint Staff at the National Military Command Center.
1999 Distinguished Graduate, Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2001 Master of Science in Aeronautics and Astronautics, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash.
2002 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer’s School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2008 Intermediate Development Education, Air Force Intern Program, Washington D.C.
2009 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science in Flight Test Engineering, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2016 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. June 1999 – July 2001, Graduate Student, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash.
2. July 2001 – January 2003, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. April 2003 – July 2006, C-17A Aircraft Commander, 16th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
4. July 2006 – June 2007, Air Force Intern, SAF/AQ, OSD(I), Pentagon, Washington D.C.
5. June 2007 – Mar 2008, Deputy, Intratheater Airlift and Tanker Requirements Branches, AF/A5RM, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
6. July 2008 – June 2009, Student, United States Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
7. June 2009 – August 2011, C-17 and C-130 Experimental Test Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, 418th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
8. August 2011 – November 2012, Director of Operations, 418th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
9. November 2012 – June 2014, Commander, 418th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
10. July 2014 – July 2016, Assistant Deputy Director for Operations, J-33, NMCC, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
11. July 2016 – June 2017, Student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
12. June 2017 – June 2018, Chief, Warfighter Readiness Research Division, 711 HPW, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. July 2018 – August 2020, Commander, 704th Test Group, Holloman AFB, N.M.
14. August 2020 – Present, Vice Commander, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,300, including over 450 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: C-17A, C-130H/J and 25+ other US and Foreign military/civil aircraft
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor with two oak leaf clusters
Outstanding Graduate in Aeronautical Engineering, USAF Academy (1999)
AETC Commander’s Trophy, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (2002)
Distinguished Graduate, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (2002)
Distinguished Graduate, C-17A Copilot Initial Qualification Training (2003)
Secretary of the Air Force Leadership Award for top graduate, Squadron Officer School (2005)
Distinguished Graduate, C-17A Aircraft Commander Upgrade Training (2005)
Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition Team of the Year (2006)
Liethen-Tittle Award for top test pilot graduate, USAF Test Pilot School (2009)
Asia Society Asia 21 Young Leader, Summit Delegate (2010)
U.S. Japan Leadership Program Fellow (2012, 2013)
U.S. Army War College Commandant’s Award for Distinction in Research (2017)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1999
First Lieutenant June 2, 2001
Captain June 2, 2003
Major November 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel November 1, 2012
Colonel May 1, 2018
(Current as of August 2020)