Kathryn J. Sowers, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director of Financial Management and Comptroller for the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center (AFLCMC), Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC), Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. Ms. Sowers is responsible for training and equipping 1,647 financial personnel, as well as advice and oversight regarding funds management worth $166 billion across some 77 locations. She assists in policy formulation, interpretation, and implementation, providing executive supervision with regard to budget execution and centralized cost estimating management; influencing over 3,000 programs/projects valued in excess of $975 billion.
Ms. Sowers began her financial career in 1984 at Wright-Patterson AFB. In September 1990, she moved to Washington DC, where she served in the Pentagon as the Air Force Cost Analysis Improvement Group Chair. In 1995, Ms. Sowers returned to Wright-Patterson AFB where she led the Earned Value Management Division and held CFO positions in Training Aircraft and Reconnaissance Programs before career broadening in 2002 to Program Management. Ms. Sowers served as the C-17 Deputy Director, C-5 RERP Director and Deputy Program Executive Officer (PEO) for ISR/SOF.
1984 Bachelor of Science, dual degree in Accounting and Finance, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
1988 Master of Business Administration, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
1995 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2003 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2009 Executive Program Manager’s Course, Defense Acquisition University, Ft. Belvoir, Va.
1. October 1984 - November 1987, Financial Specialist/Cost Analyst, Financial Management Home Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. November 1987 - September 1990, Cost Estimator, later, Supervisory Financial Analyst, B-2 Program office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3.September 1990 - September 1992, Financial/Cost Analyst, Special Programs, The Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
4. September 1992 - September 1995, Supervisory Operations Research Analyst, The Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
5. September 1995 - September 1996, Supervisory Schedule and Cost Performance Analyst, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. September 1996 - November 2000, Financial Officer, Training Systems Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. November 2000 – May 2006, Financial Officer and Program Management Detail, Reconnaissance Systems Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. May 2006 - February 2010, Deputy Director, C-17 Systems Group, Aeronautical Systems Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. February 2010 - July 2013, Director, C-5 RERP, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. July 2013 - June 2015, Deputy Program Executive Officer, Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance and Special Operation Forces, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. June 2015 - Present, Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
Acquisition Professional Development Financial Management – Level III
Acquisition Professional Development Program Management – Level III
AWARDS AND HONORS
2001 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2001 Aeronautical Systems Center Financial Management Leadership Award
2002 Air Force Association Management Award, Executive Civilian of the Year
2005 Aeronautical Systems Center Financial Management Chief of the Year
2007 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2007 Federally Employed Women, Miami Valley Chapter, Supervisor of the Year
2011 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
(Current as of June 2015)